- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
A sweet and savory French toast for Mother's Day
Give mom both sides of the taste chart with a French toast recipe that's both sweet and savory. This easy-to-assemble casserole can be put together the night before, refrigerated and baked just before serving on Mother's Day. This also is an easy recipe for the kids to help with. Let them whisk the eggs, layer the bread and pour the egg mixture.
Baked sausage-stuffed French toast
Start to finish: 1 hour 15 minutes (15 minutes active)
12-ounce package maple breakfast sausages, casings removed
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup maple syrup
8 slices oatmeal bread
12 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Coat a 9-by-9-inch baking pan or a small casserole dish with cooking spray.
In a medium saute pan over medium-high, crumble the sausage and cook until lightly browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
Drain any excess oil in the pan, then set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and maple syrup.
To assemble, fit 4 slices of the bread into the bottom of the prepared pan. You may need to trim the bread.
Arrange the sausage meat over the bread, then top with 6 slices of the cheese, breaking the slices as needed to arrange a single layer over all of the sausage and bread. Arrange the remaining bread over the cheese, then top with the remaining cheese.
Pour the egg mixture over the top. At this point, the pan can be covered and refrigerated overnight, if desired. Otherwise, heat the oven to 375 F and let the French toast rest for 30 minutes to allow the bread to absorb the egg. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until puffy, golden brown and set. Serve warm.
Nutrition information per serving (values are rounded to the nearest whole number): 438 calories; 277 calories from fat; 31 g fat (14 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 184 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrate; 19 g protein; 1 g fiber; 798 mg sodium.