- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Old Town Cape sets goal of $22,000 for Friday's annual auction
A scooter, jewelry and a $2,500 TV advertising package top the list of items up for auction to benefit downtown Cape Girardeau development.
The 23rd annual Charles L. Hutson Auction to benefit Old Town Cape will be at 6:30 p.m. Friday at the Riverview Room at Buckner Brewing Co.
Included in the fiesta-themed event are silent and regular auctions, dinner and music by Steve Schaffner and Chuck Sowers.
"This is the community's way to help the downtown area," said Marla Mills, executive director of Old Town Cape. "It's our biggest fundraiser, and the money is used to help us do everything we do."
Old Town Cape is a not-for-profit organization that promotes the revitalization of downtown Cape Girardeau. The organization also coordinates several community events downtown throughout the year, including Tunes at Twilight, the Rivertales Classic Car Show, Oktoberfest, the Parade of Lights and Downtown Christmas Open House. Next month, Old Town Cape will sponsor a new event. A downtown home tour is planned for May 8 from noon to 4 p.m.
Last year's auction raised $18,000 to benefit Old Town Cape projects, and this year the goal has been set at $22,000. Jerra Hutson serves as the auction's volunteer coordinator.
"In the past, the auction has raised as much as $25,000," Mills said. "This auction is really very important to ensure our continued success."
Friday's live auction of about 30 items will include tickets to St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams games and "Wicked" at The Fox Theatre; a $2,500 advertising package from KFVS12; and a scooter from Campus Scooters; and several restaurant-related items, for example, a wine and cheese party for eight donated by Bella Italia.
About 129 items will be sold during the silent auction such as jewelry, original artwork, gift baskets, books and gift certificates to local businesses.
Tickets are $35 each, and tables of eight are available for $280. Dress is casual. Tickets will be available at the door, but people are encouraged to make reservations by calling Old Town Cape at 334-8085.
418 Broadway, Cape Girardeau
132 N. Main St., Cape Girardeau