- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Track team takes two firsts at SIU meet
The Southeast Missouri State track and field program completed a busy weekend Saturday at two venues, the Drake Relays and the SIU-Edwardsville Twilight Relays.
Southeast claimed two titles at the SIUE Twilight Relays, one by the men and one by the women.
Chris Gill won the 400 meters in 47.64 seconds, while Szandra Pal captured the 5,000 meters in 18:55.51.
Chris Johnson took home two top-five finishes, placing third in the long jump (22 feet, 5 1/4 inches) and fourth in the triple jump (45-1 1/2).
Ryan Criglar was second in the long jump (22-9) and Chris Loseman was third in the 1,500 (3:58.40).
Cody Martin and Tyler Mullen placed sixth and seventh in the 5,000 with times of 16:23.52 and 16:25.00.
Brandon Funderburk was seventh in the steeplechase (10:18.86).
Dustin Davis and Joel Krause were eighth and ninth in the 1,500 with times of 4:06.26 and 4:06.37.
Jared Siemers placed eighth in the hammer throw (150-10).
On the women's side, Nikki Buchheit placed second in the pole vault (10-11 3/4). Jill Schnurbusch and Audrey Harwood tied for third (10-6).
Monica Noble was fourth in the 1,500 (5:01.51), with Kasey Owens, Liz Speicher and Linnea Woldtvedt fifth, sixth and seventh in 5:04.71, 5:08.16 and 5:11.65.
Unique Hooks placed fifth in the 100 (16.02).
At the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, Brandon Colbert was second in the discus (175-0).
Several Southeast athletes also participated Friday at the Drake Relays, recording three top-10 finishes, including a ninth from Colbert in the shot put (53-7 3/4).
Also placing ninth were Tyler Terry in the long jump (23-1 3/4) and Juli Koenegstein in the 3,000 steeplechase (10:48.93).
Southeast will compete this weekend at the Ohio Valley Conference outdoor meet in Cookeville, Tenn.
Softball rained out
The Southeast softball team had its entire three-game OVC home series against Jacksonville State rained out. It will not be rescheduled, per OVC rules.
Southeast and JSU were supposed to play a doubleheader Saturday and a single contest Sunday.
After Saturday's action was rained out, the teams hoped to play two games Sunday but rain again took over.
Southeast returns to action this weekend with a three-game OVC home series against first-place Tennessee-Martin.
-- From staff reports