- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
735th to receive commendation for Iraq service
The 735th Quartermaster Force Providers will be presented with the prestigious Meritorious Unit Commendation on May 1 for its support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
According to orders released by the Department of the Army, the 735th displayed "outstanding professional skill, selfless service and unparalleled esprit de corps, or morale," while executing its various missions "under extremely austere and dangerous conditions."
About 85 Soldiers with the 735th, which has headquarters in De Soto and detachments throughout the state including in Cape Girardeau, were deployed from Aug. 11, 2007, until Feb. 20, 2008.
The 735th was detached with the 177th Military Police Brigade. The 735th performed various security missions, including protecting an ammunition bunker complex as well as serving as personal security for high-ranking officials and VIPs who came on base. They also provided security on logistics missions and on supply convoys. While in Iraq, The 735th was located at Camp Ashraf, which is north of Baghdad.
The ceremony will be at 11 a.m. May 1 at the armory in De Soto.