- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)19
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
735th to receive commendation for Iraq service
The 735th Quartermaster Force Providers will be presented with the prestigious Meritorious Unit Commendation on May 1 for its support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
According to orders released by the Department of the Army, the 735th displayed "outstanding professional skill, selfless service and unparalleled esprit de corps, or morale," while executing its various missions "under extremely austere and dangerous conditions."
About 85 Soldiers with the 735th, which has headquarters in De Soto and detachments throughout the state including in Cape Girardeau, were deployed from Aug. 11, 2007, until Feb. 20, 2008.
The 735th was detached with the 177th Military Police Brigade. The 735th performed various security missions, including protecting an ammunition bunker complex as well as serving as personal security for high-ranking officials and VIPs who came on base. They also provided security on logistics missions and on supply convoys. While in Iraq, The 735th was located at Camp Ashraf, which is north of Baghdad.
The ceremony will be at 11 a.m. May 1 at the armory in De Soto.