- Plans in the works to save Esquire Theater on Broadway in Cape (2/21/18)2
- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Bell City arrest, Scott City incident highlight high-alert status following Fla. school shooting (2/20/18)4
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)6
- As February winds down, Chaffee looking forward to reopening of ice cream shop (2/21/18)1
- Scott City puts school on lockdown; officials say alleged threat 'not credible' (2/21/18)2
- The heart of the matter: Clinic helps patients rise above congestive heart failure (2/17/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Sowers: A fact-based campaign
EDITOR'S NOTE: According to Rep. Jo Ann Emerson's staff in Washington, D.C., Emerson did not actually attend the American League of Lobbyists luncheon. Emerson also didn't have a fundraiser that same night at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse. Information in the letter below is inaccurate.
In Sunday's front-page article, Jo Ann Emerson spokesman Jeff Connor was quoted as saying that I have made trips to both coasts for fundraisers. This statement was false.
We are running a fact-based campaign. Apparently Jeff Connor is not encumbered by facts or the truth. Before readers accept future statements from Mr. Connor or the Emerson campaign, I would recommend they do their own fact-checking.
Here are the facts that Mr. Connor will unlikely speak about. Tuesday, I met with farmers and veterans in Pemiscot and Dunklin counties. Jo Ann Emerson spoke at a lunch sponsored by the American League of Lobbyists. Later on that evening, she had a fundraising dinner at the Charlie Palmer Steakhouse in Washington, D.C., at the price of $1,000 per plate. This is the second fundraiser she's had at Charlie Palmer in 2010. I am betting that not many folks from Southeast Missouri attended.
TOMMY SOWERS, P.O. Box 1396, Rolla, Mo.