- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
Sowers: A fact-based campaign
EDITOR'S NOTE: According to Rep. Jo Ann Emerson's staff in Washington, D.C., Emerson did not actually attend the American League of Lobbyists luncheon. Emerson also didn't have a fundraiser that same night at Charlie Palmer Steakhouse. Information in the letter below is inaccurate.
In Sunday's front-page article, Jo Ann Emerson spokesman Jeff Connor was quoted as saying that I have made trips to both coasts for fundraisers. This statement was false.
We are running a fact-based campaign. Apparently Jeff Connor is not encumbered by facts or the truth. Before readers accept future statements from Mr. Connor or the Emerson campaign, I would recommend they do their own fact-checking.
Here are the facts that Mr. Connor will unlikely speak about. Tuesday, I met with farmers and veterans in Pemiscot and Dunklin counties. Jo Ann Emerson spoke at a lunch sponsored by the American League of Lobbyists. Later on that evening, she had a fundraising dinner at the Charlie Palmer Steakhouse in Washington, D.C., at the price of $1,000 per plate. This is the second fundraiser she's had at Charlie Palmer in 2010. I am betting that not many folks from Southeast Missouri attended.
TOMMY SOWERS, P.O. Box 1396, Rolla, Mo.