- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
April is National Pest Management Month
Bug Zero Pest Services celebrates April as National Pest Management Month, an observance that has been taking place for more than 30 years. In honor of National Pest Management Month this year, Bug Zero is raising public awareness about the risks posed by household pests and encouraging homeowners to take proactive steps to prevent pest infestations in their homes and properties.
"When most people think of pests, they likely think of the 'ick-factor' associated with an infestation, but few people consider the serious health and property threats that pests like termites, mosquitoes, cockroaches, rodents and stinging insects can pose," says Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA.
Some pests, including termites, rodents and ants can cause costly damage to the structure of a home. Termites and carpenter ants have the ability to chew through wood beams, walls, floors and even wallpaper. Rodents can spark house fires if they gnaw through electrical wiring or build nests close to heat sources.
Other pests, like cockroaches, mosquitoes and stinging insects pose health threats to humans. Cockroach allergens are known to trigger asthma attacks, especially in children. Mosquitoes, meanwhile, can carry West Nile virus and stinging insects send more than half a million people to the emergency room every year.
"During National Pest Management Month, Bug Zero encourages homeowners to learn more about pest management and to take steps to prevent infestations before they occur," says Henriksen. "Pest pressure increases significantly in spring and summer, which is why simple measures like sealing cracks and crevices around the home, keeping kitchen counters and floors clean and free of crumbs, sealing garbage cans and eliminating sources of still-standing water on your property now can go a long way in preventing pests from making a home in yours."
For more information, visit www.bugzero.biz.