- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- The Tungsten Groove to release first album featuring original songs (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
StarView Vineyards Wins awards for Local wines
COBDEN, IL - StarView Vineyards in Cobden, IL has been awarded medals for each wine that was entered at the 2010 Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. The competition, hosted in New York featured world renowned wine judges and boasted that 3010 wines were entered from 666 wineries from 15 countries. Following the announcement of results, StarView Vineyards has six more medals, adding to the medal count that the winery has been amassing since opening in 2006.
Award winning wines:
Red Giant - Silver
Silver Star - Silver
Red Star - Bronze
Chardonel - Bronze
Seyval - Bronze
SuperNova - Bronze
StarView Vineyards is located in the Shawnee Hills American Viticulture Area, the first area in Illinois to be designated as a Grape Growing region by the Federal Government. StarView Vineyards' owner and vintner, Scott Sensmeier, says that, "These awards are just one more testament to the fact that Illinois can produce high quality wine grapes and craft world class wines. Awards from Finger Lakes competition help to put Illinois on the map as a destination for people who are seeking fine, hand crafted wines made from grapes grown in Illinois." The wines that were entered showcase the wine grapes that are grown in Illinois.
As people seek to incorporate more local foods and wines into their lives, the number of regional visitors has spiked. Sensmeier is on the boards of both the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail and the Shawnee Hills Wine Grape Association and also comments that, "The area in Southern Illinois is still a well kept secret that is starting to get out! Right here in our state we are producing some fine wines that are a direct result of the attention that our growers are placing on the vineyards and the collaboration between growers and vintners. With the diversity and quality of wines produced in the Shawnee Hills Area, we expect the number of visitors to continue to trend upward and the number of medals and accolades to also trend upward."
StarView Vineyards is home to a family owned and operated winery in Cobden, IL and in the Shawnee Hills Viticulture area and one of 12 wineries on the Shawnee Hills Wine Trail. StarView Vineyards has been internationally recognized for its quality wines, and many have been rated by the Beverage Testing Institute "Highly Recommended" and "Recommended" and "Best Buys." In addition to producing premium wines, StarView hosts banquets, receptions, and private parties in its banquet room, which has been newly remodeled. StarView supports local artists and invites everyone to come view the works that are on display now. While at StarView, guests can enjoy complimentary wine sampling and learn from the staff and owners what makes the wines in this area special. Check the website for more events to come: www.starviewvineyards.com.