- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Speak Out 4/19/10
Give it back
I know somebody has already asked if the savings from the new trash program in Cape Girardeau will be passed along to customers. I'm sure the citizens of Cape Girardeau would like to know the answer. Don't disappoint me, Cape Girardeau. Show a little pride and give the money back to the working people.
E-Z tax form
IF runaway spending in Washington continues at the current rate, our children and grandchildren will be faced with a simplified tax form that will consist of two lines. The first line will ask what you made last year, and the second line will say "Send it."
I believe Sarah Palin is anti-American. All she does in her speeches is stir up hate, spew negativity and blame everything on President Obama. She sounds like a high schooler bullying the president of the United States. If she thinks she has better solutions, I'd like to hear them. I hope tea partiers wake up soon and realize she is using them.
THE reason K-12 education in Missouri is always subject to draconian cuts by the state legislature results in large part from the fact that teacher organizations split into several factions decades ago. Legislators craftily and cynically exploit this division, often successfully playing one group against the other. The inability of Missouri educators to present a united front combined with the willingness of legislators to take full advantage of that fact sadly victimizes the most vulnerable among us, our youths, as the gutting of the Parents as Teachers program shows.
Dogs in hot car
I saw two dogs in a car with all the windows rolled up. It's 3 p.m. on a warm day. Please don't do that to you dogs. It's inhumane.
I agree wholeheartedly with David Limbaugh. Just because a legislator is a nice person doesn't mean he votes for nice legislation. In a similar vein, just because a columnist is a nice guy doesn't mean that ... well, you get my drift.
CITIZENS of Cape Girardeau, please keep your dogs on leashes or in fenced yards. There are several large loose dogs in my neighborhood, including pit bulls. I know there is a law against this, so I am reminding the inconsiderate owners of these animals. If your dog attacks someone, you will be in serious trouble.