- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area calendar 4/15/10
* Cape Legion tryouts: Cape Girardeau Ford & Sons Post 63 American Legion baseball will conduct tryouts April 25 at Capaha Field. The tryout for Junior Legion will be from 2 to 4 p.m. and the tryout for Senior Legion will be from 4 to 6 p.m. Info: Todd Pennington, 618-306-2265.
* Jackson Senior Babe Ruth: Jackson Senior Babe Ruth will conduct tryouts at 2 p.m. Sunday at Saxony Lutheran High School for boys ages 16 to 18. Anyone who has turned 19 after Jan. 1 is ineligible. In the event of rain, tryouts will be rescheduled for 2 p.m. April 25. Info: Paul Sander, 270-9535; Stan Minson, 587-2092.
* Southeast baseball scramble: The Southeast Missouri State baseball program will hold its annual golf scramble Monday at Bent Creek Golf Course in Jackson. The Baseball Golf Extravaganza is limited to 32 teams and costs $175 per player or $700 per team. Entry fee includes Redhawks apparel, lunch, refreshments and practice balls. Scramble starts with lunch at 10:30 a.m., followed by a noon tee time and an auction and raffle at 5 p.m. Cost per raffle ticket is $5 or five tickets for $20. Attendance at the scramble is not required to win. Info: 986-6002.
* Cape Shrine Club tournament: The annual Cape Shrine Club four-person scramble will take place May 21 at Bent Creek Golf Course in Jackson. Cost: $80 per person, which includes lunch and prizes. Lunch will be served at noon and followed by a 1 p.m. shotgun start. Info: Eddie Schreiner, 243-5503.
* Capahas auction: The annual Plaza Tire Capahas auction will be May 1 at the American Legion Hall on Thomas Drive in Cape Girardeau. It originally was scheduled for April 10 but was moved back. Doors open at 8:30 a.m., with the auction beginning at 9 a.m. A wide variety of items will be auctioned off, with proceeds benefiting the Capahas, among the nation's oldest amateur baseball teams. Info: 335-6644.
* Central hall of fame: Nominations are being taken until the end of April for the Cape Girardeau Central Hall of Fame. To make a nomination, contact Central junior high athletic director Terry Kitchen (651-6246, firstname.lastname@example.org) or Central athletic director Lance Tollison (email@example.com).
* Youth Track Club: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor the Youth Track Club for boys and girls ages 6 to 14. Practices begin at 5 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday evenings at Central Junior High School. There will be nine meets, including the season-ending Hershey's Track Meet where participants can qualify for the state competition. Cost: $45, which includes a T-shirt. Info: 339-6340.
* Hershey's meet: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will hold the 21st annual Hershey's Track and Field meet at 5 p.m. May 13 at the Central Junior High track. Registration will run from 3:30 to 4:15 p.m. The meet is open to boys and girls ages 9 to 14 in Southeast Missouri and each participant may enter three events, with a maximum of two track events. Events offered will be the 50, 100, 200, 400, 800, 1,600 and 4x100 relay as well as a standing long jump and softball throw. Local winners advance to the state meet in Jefferson City, Mo. Registration forms are available at the Osage Community Centre or A.C. Brase Arena. Cost: $3 per participant. Info: 339-6340.
* Girls fastpitch league: A girls fastpitch league will be played on Wednesdays at the Shawnee Park Sports Complex. There will be four divisions: 12U, 14U, 16U, and 18U. Games will begin June 2. Cost: $380 per team. Entry deadline is April 23. Info: Chris Eastridge, 334-2523.
* Co-ed slowpitch league: The Cape Girardeau Parks and Recreation Department will offer a co-ed slowpitch league with games played Monday nights at Arena Park field No. 5 beginning at 6 p.m. High school students ages 16 to 18 are eligible to participate. Teams will receive an eight- to 10-game schedule plus a chance for the playoffs. Every team must have a coach 21 years old or older. There will be a managers meeting at 6:30 p.m. May 10 at the Osage Community Centre and at least one coach or team captain must be present. Team rosters and entry fee can be returned to the Parks and Recreation Department at the A.C. Brase Arena. Cost: $175 per team. Info: 339-6340.
* CATA meeting: The annual Cape Area Tennis Association's meeting will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. April 28 at Class Act Family Fitness in Jackson. The meeting will include an update on tennis activities for the upcoming outdoor season, tennis mixers and a pizza party. Cost: $7. Reservations: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Juniors clinic: The Cape Area Tennis Association will host a free clinic for juniors ages 6 to 18 on May 8 at the tennis complex at Southeast Missouri State. The clinic for players ages 6 to 10 will be from 1 to 2:30 p.m. and the clinic for players ages 11 to 18 will be from 2:30 to 4:30 p.m. Players of all abilities are invited to attend. Register: Donna Ryan, 332-1614.
* Steamboat Classic: The 26th annual Steamboat Classic triathlon will take place at 9 a.m. April 25 at the Central Municipal Pool. The race consists of a 450-meter swim, 15.5-mile bike and 5-mile run. Participants may compete as individuals or as part of a relay team. Cost: $50 for individual until April 22 and $55 day of race; $55 for teams until April 22 and $60 day of race. Info: Patrick Watson, 335-4040 or Jared Tanz, 334-2031.