- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Jackson P&Z commission takes action at Whitey Herzog Stadium
Baseball was a main topic of conversation at the Jackson Planning and Zoning Commission meeting Wednesday night.
During its meeting, the commission approved recommendations to modify a special-use permit at the newly opened Whitey Herzog Stadium, 25 E. Deerwood Drive, that increases the seating capacity by 300 and the required number of parking spaces by 80. The commission also approved recommendations to extend a deadline to build a permanent parking lot and permanent restroom facilities on the property.
The required number of parking spaces on the lot also will need to increase from 38 to 118. The city requires one parking space for every four people, based on the city zoning code.
The original permit called for paving the gravel parking lot by July 6, 2011. But the Jackson Area Baseball Association, the not-for-profit organization that oversaw the construction and operates the field, asked for more time to raise additional funding to pave the lot. The new deadline is now April 2014.
The association also requested more time to raise funds to construct permanent restroom facilities. The original permit called for construction of the permanent facilities by July 6, but the commission voted to recommend an extension to April 10, 2013.
In other business, the commission:
* Approved a recommendation to extend the block length of phase seven of Bent Creek subdivision but denied a waiver on a storm-water detention requirement.
* Approved a recommendation for a pavement requirement variance for previously approved preliminary plats for phases seven through 10 of Pioneer Orchard subdivision.
* Approved a recommendation for a special-use permit for gun and ammunition sales at Swain's Guns and Ammo, 529 W. Main St. While the business has already been operating, an error resulted in the special-use permit not being issued when the original business license was approved.
The recommendations now will come before the Jackson Board of Aldermen, which will vote on the recommendations at a future meeting.
101 Court St., Jackson, MO
529 W. Main St., Jackson, MO