- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Response from Southern California
To the editor:
It would appear that bitterness and paranoia walk hand in hand, and I did not need to check Cape Girardeau County elections results to come to this conclusion. All I had to do was read Jennifer L. St. Clair's letter to deduce that. I cannot, however, decide which local newspaper she is reading, because I read letters with a liberal slant regularly in the Southeast Missourian.
If Ms. St. Clair feels liberals have so much to fear in Cape Girardeau County, she would love Southern California. I'm sure she would chuckle at the times I have my rearview mirror smashed off my car, been flipped off and verbally accosted on the freeway. And I was very surprised to come out of work one evening to find a college-age man doing his best to peel my Bush-Cheney sticker from my car. I left it on well after the election in retaliation. Oh, yes, I really loved the liberal open-mindedness of this blue state.
Having lived in southern Missouri and Southern California, trust me when I tell you, Ms. St. Clair has much more freedom to practice her politics in Cape Girardeau County than I have here. So forget about any talking points Howard Dean has e-mailed and enjoy a dose of reality.
BILL GREEN, Highland, Calif.