- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- Here's what's being built next to Chick-fil-A in Cape (1/18/18)1
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)3
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Poultry in motion: 4-H participants take first in nation with barbecue skills (1/13/18)1
- City of Oran water rates violate state law, auditors find; report details financial-management problems (1/13/18)2
- Cape lands new summer-league baseball team; Capaha Field to see major upgrades (1/20/18)6
- 3 mayor candidates in Scott City; former mayor Porch files for council seat (1/18/18)
- Redhawk Food Pantry helping Southeast students, employees who need assistance with food, supplies (1/19/18)2
Response from Southern California
To the editor:
It would appear that bitterness and paranoia walk hand in hand, and I did not need to check Cape Girardeau County elections results to come to this conclusion. All I had to do was read Jennifer L. St. Clair's letter to deduce that. I cannot, however, decide which local newspaper she is reading, because I read letters with a liberal slant regularly in the Southeast Missourian.
If Ms. St. Clair feels liberals have so much to fear in Cape Girardeau County, she would love Southern California. I'm sure she would chuckle at the times I have my rearview mirror smashed off my car, been flipped off and verbally accosted on the freeway. And I was very surprised to come out of work one evening to find a college-age man doing his best to peel my Bush-Cheney sticker from my car. I left it on well after the election in retaliation. Oh, yes, I really loved the liberal open-mindedness of this blue state.
Having lived in southern Missouri and Southern California, trust me when I tell you, Ms. St. Clair has much more freedom to practice her politics in Cape Girardeau County than I have here. So forget about any talking points Howard Dean has e-mailed and enjoy a dose of reality.
BILL GREEN, Highland, Calif.