- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Iraq- Good news too
When the cabinet of Iraq's first democratically elected government was filled out more than two weeks ago, many Americans hoped the announcement would help curb the mounting violence. Instead, insurgent attacks in Iraq have intensified. Much of the fighting has been Iraq-on-Iraq violence. But 14 American troops died in Iraq last week. That brings the total to more than 1,600 members of the U.S. military that have died since the war started in March 2003.
The violence is unfortunate and tragic. But General Richard B. Myers, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, is right when he calls for patience. He said the insurgency could last for years.
A lot of good work is still being done in Iraq. The Iraqi government is now employing 1.2 million Iraqi people. More than 3,100 schools have been renovated, 364 schools are being rehabilitated, 263 schools are under construction and 38 new schools have been built in Iraq. The Iraqi Navy is operational. Iraq has a counter-terrorist unit and a commando battalion. The Iraqi Police Service has 55,000 fully trained and equipped police officers. Ninety-five percent of Iraqi children under the age of 5 have received the first two series of polio vaccinations. More than 4.3 million Iraqi children were enrolled in primary school by mid-October.
Getting the new government in place is a good start. The heightened strife is part of the process of reclaiming the country from despotism.