- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Congress to hurt farmers?
To the editor:
Are the farmers paying attention? Why is Congress making a trade deal that prohibits American farmers' goods from being exported to Central America? In that same trade deal, why are those Central American foreigners allowed to send their goods here? You mean to say American farmers won't be allowed to export to them for years, but Congress says it's OK for us to import their Central American agriculture products? Is this the subversive Central American Free Trade Agreement (CAFTA) Congress wants passed? Isn't this all part of the U.N.-related World Trade Organization agenda to cut back on American exports? Isn't the WTO pushing Congress to vote for those fraudulent free-trade agreements?
Why would Congress want to hurt American farmers but help foreign farmers? Why did U.S. Reps. Jo Ann Emerson and Kenny Hulshof and U.S. Sens. Bond and Talent vote for other fraudulent so-called free-trade agreements? (Ref. HR 2738 and HR 2739).
Isn't' it past time for Emerson, Hulshof, Bond and Talent to explain why they support the destructive CAFTA assault on our farmers? All is not lost. Congress can support our farmers by voting no on CAFTA. Isn't it time to get the United States out of that slippery WTO?
LORENE WOOLSEY, Mountain View, Mo.