- Deputies: Man, woman tried to arrange killing of his estranged wife (5/21/17)1
- Former coroner convicted of felony theft now faces prison in misdemeanor case (5/23/17)2
- Cape police say man assaulted, kidnapped girlfriend (5/21/17)2
- Woman may lose foot after being hit by moped (5/24/17)
- Mississippi County sheriff fights efforts in court to remove him from office (5/21/17)4
- Business notebook: Woman, sister-in-law buy Perryville custom-wear shop (5/22/17)
- Cape man accused of shooting a woman in Jackson (5/21/17)
- Police apprehend Charleston man they say hit Cape woman with car (5/24/17)
- Illinois Trail of Tears site where Cherokee buried named to National Historic Register (5/24/17)
- Broadening horizons: Heartland Dream Team founder stays committed to area youth (5/21/17)2
Soap Box Derby
Area children got a lesson in speed last weekend when they competed in the annual Soap Box Derby sponsored by the Rotary Club.
Experienced racers quickly learned that one lane was faster than the other, but the competition took that into account by switching lanes during the heats.
Many of the racers were regulars who compete each year; some even have siblings on the sidelines ready to join in the fun. This year's Soap Box Derby had 29 participants and raised more than $18,000 for local charities.
The race shows that it's not winning but having fun that counts.