- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)35
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)16
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Soap Box Derby
Area children got a lesson in speed last weekend when they competed in the annual Soap Box Derby sponsored by the Rotary Club.
Experienced racers quickly learned that one lane was faster than the other, but the competition took that into account by switching lanes during the heats.
Many of the racers were regulars who compete each year; some even have siblings on the sidelines ready to join in the fun. This year's Soap Box Derby had 29 participants and raised more than $18,000 for local charities.
The race shows that it's not winning but having fun that counts.