- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Out of the past 4/4/10
25 years ago: April 4, 1985
The controversial multipurpose building project is dealt a major blow by Cape Girardeau County Circuit Judge A.J. Seier, who enjoins the city of Cape Girardeau from spending any money on construction of the joint Southeast Missouri State University/city arena; he declares the operating agreement between the city and school is "unconstitutional, illegal and unenforceable."
Dr. Charles W. Smith, a professor of music at Southeast Missouri State University, receives the 1985 Honors of the College of Humanities Award at the university.
50 years ago: April 4, 1960
All available city equipment and trucks from other sources were thrown into a levee-construction project over the weekend in an all-out effort to save the International Shoe Co. plant on North Main Street from inundation by a Mississippi River flood predicted to crest at 38 feet; with business houses in the area providing sandwiches and coffee for the workers without charge, crews worked long hours to build an earthen levee near the shoe factory southward to near the Cape Sand Co.
Alvin F. Klaus files his declaration to succeed himself as an associate judge of the County Court.
75 years ago: April 4, 1935
The two new members of the Cape Girardeau School Board -- E.L. McClintock and John Craft -- favor construction of a new elementary school at the site of the abandoned Lorimier School.
The Maier Auto Supply Co., a new firm dealing exclusively in automobile supplies, is set to formally opened tomorrow at 718 Broadway; William G. Maier, owner of the Broadway Tire & Battery Co., 216 N. Middle St., is the manager.
100 years ago: April 4, 1910
A meeting has been called at the Commercial Club rooms for this evening, to which all citizens are invited; the Saint Francis Hospital question will be taken up in all its phases.
Mr. and Mrs. C.P. Sullivan and family and Mr. Sullivan's sister, Mrs. Waters, leave on the steamer Saltillo for their new home in Mayfield, Ky.; they had resided in Cape Girardeau for nearly a year, during the time Mr. Sullivan supervised the construction of the new federal building.
-- Sharon K. Sanders