- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)15
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/24/16)4
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
- Business notebook: Plastics firm moves to area to help laid-off workers (06/20/16)1
It was disheartening to read professor Clayton's comments regarding artist Gary Lucy's mural commissioned by Southeast Missouri State University to be displayed at the new River Campus. First of all, Prof. Clayton's comments are unprofessional. Secondly, they are simply untrue.
Mr. Clayton stated, "[Gary Lucy] is no artist and has no standing in the art world." No artist? He has been a professional artist for over 30 years, has received many awards, and his beautiful work is displayed all over Missouri (including my living room). Not only is it attractive, it is historically accurate.
We as Southeast Missourians, rather than be ashamed of our rich river heritage and refer to ourselves as "isolated out of touch cultural backwater," should embrace the natural beauty of where we live and proudly tell the area's story not only through art but other lasting forms of media.
Hopefully, future art students at the River Campus will be taught to appreciate many forms of art and certainly not have ideas placed in their heads by instructors on what they believe is or is not "art." Hopefully Mr. Lucy will not become discouraged by Mr. Clayton's negative commentary. Anyone interested in learning about this talented artist and viewing the progress of his mural should visit www.garylucy.com for a stunning visual treat.
LAURA SHELTON, Jackson