- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)28
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)6
Work on the Discovery Playhouse, a hands-on activity center for children in downtown Cape Girardeau, has been going on for months while board members raised funds for the project. Recently, 90 guests got a sneak peek at the playhouse. When the event, called a "funraiser," was over, the playhouse had another $68,000 for interactive and educational additions.
The playhouse also has a new interim director, Janet Livingston, who had volunteered to develop a marketing plan. The playhouse is scheduled to open to the public April 22.
This is a project that has relied heavily on community support, both financial and through the commitment of its board members. Those who have devoted countless hours to turn the Discovery Playhouse into a reality deserve our thanks and appreciation.
There are still tax credits available to businesses making contributions to the playhouse, but the availability of those credits ends Wednesday. Anyone interested in taking advantage of the tax credits should call the playhouse at 335-7529.
This is a project that is expected to be a major draw for Cape Girardeau residents and visitors alike. The playhouse is in the former Walther's Furniture building at 502 Broadway. Stop by and take a look.