- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Car goes off highway overpass at Sikeston
SIKESTON, Mo. -- William R. Reese, 75, from Tilton, Ill., was taken by ambulance to Saint Francis Medical Center in Cape Girardeau for severe injuries following an accident at about 2 p.m. Thursday at the Interstate 55-57 interchange, the Sikeston Standard Democrat reported.
According to the Sikeston Department of Public Safety officer who is investigating the accident, the vehicle driven by Reese was apparently headed southbound on Interstate 55 when, according to a witness, the vehicle struck the left hand barrier, went through it to become airborne and landed on all four tires on U.S. 60 below, striking the concrete barrier alongside eastbound U.S. 60. As of Friday morning, Reese was reportedly in the intensive care unit at the hospital. There were no passengers in the vehicle other than Reese. According to DPS, this is the third such accident to occur there in the past year, one of which was fatal.