Out of the past 3/27/10

Saturday, March 27, 2010

25 years ago: March 27, 1985

Marble Hill, Mo. -- Consolidation of the towns of Lutesville and Marble Hill would make the area more appealing to industry and could bring both communities in a better bargaining position for government grants and loans to finance needed capital improvements, say supporters of a measure which would combine the two 100-plus-year-old towns; there is no organized opposition to the proposal, which voters will decide Tuesday.

The Scott City Chamber of Commerce was organized last night at a meeting attended by about 30 persons interested in spearheading the effort.

50 years ago: March 27, 1960

Central High coaches Weldon Hager and Jack Russell have announced the basketball letter winners for the 1959-60 season; two-year varsity letters went to seniors Willie Williams and Ronnie Hayden; one-year awards were earned by seniors Ronald Schlimme, Roger Suedekum, Jerry Ford, Jess Bolen, Eugene York, and Kent Cargle; juniors Robert McBride and Raymond Hinds were awarded their first varsity numeral.

Ace Leach of Flat River, Mo., a widely-known evangelist, opens a revival meeting at the Independent Assembly of God Church, 1002 N. Main St.

75 years ago: March 27, 1935

Gov. Guy Park names R.E. Bailey of Sikeston, Mo., and John F. Lottes of Perryville, Mo., as members of the Board of Regents of the Southeast Missouri State Teachers College at Cape Girardeau.

City Engineer John Walter has begun work on making a contour map of the Fort A site, development of which is proposed by the city; Walther remarks that he isn't an expert mountain climber and has had some difficulty in plotting the various elevations of the 65-foot bluff on the fort site overlooking Main Street and the Mississippi River from the east end of Bellevue Street.

100 years ago: March 27, 1910

Easter Sunday. Christian churches in Cape Girardeau observe the day with the usual beautiful exercises and special music; at Trinity Lutheran Church, members of the German Confirmation class receive their first communion at the morning worship service.

The children of the Presbyterian Church Sunday School held an egg rolling in Courthouse Park last evening; there was no trouble in getting the eggs to roll when they went over the terraces.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: