- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Robert Elias Jones, 81, of Cape Girardeau died Monday, March 22, 2010, at the Lutheran Home.
He was born March 22, 1929, in Berea, Ky., son of John Roy and Montie Raye Davis Jones. He and Carol Ann Clark were married Sept. 18, 1955, in Lima, Ohio.
Mr. Jones served in the U.S. Army and was honorably discharged in 1948.
He graduated from Eastern Kentucky State University with a bachelor of science degree.
Mr. Jones worked for Montgomery Ward & Co. approximately 23 years in Chicago, Vincennes, Ind., Lima, Blytheville, Ark., Poplar Bluff, Mo., Cape Girardeau, Larned, Kan., Topeka, Kan., and retired in Cape Girardeau in 1976.
He was the South Central Region Store Manager of the Year in 1971. He was also vice president and loan officer of Colonial Federal Savings and Loan eight years.
Mr. Jones was a member of Grace United Methodist Church and served as district treasurer 14 years, financial chairman, Sunday school superintendent and Sunday school teacher.
He was part owner in Kingsway roller skating rinks in Cape Girardeau, Paducah and Hopkinsville, Ky. He was honored by Gov. Brown of Kentucky as a Kentucky Colonel.
Survivors include his wife; a daughter, Paula Ann (Kenton Lloyd) Thomas of Olive Branch, Ill.; a son, Robert Christopher (Paula Diane) Jones of Kelso, Mo.; six grandchildren, Adam L. and Ivan A. Thomas, Heather M. and Colton C.P. Jones, Jessica M. and Brittney L. Diebold.
Visitation will be from 11 a.m. to service time Friday at Grace United Methodist Church.
The funeral will be at noon Friday at the church, with the Rev. Tom Sullenger officiating. Burial will be in Missouri State Veterans Cemetery at Bloomfield, Mo.
In lieu of flowers, contributions may be made to Grace United Methodist Church or Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau.
Ford and Sons Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.