Out of the past 3/24/10

Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Bishop Marion Forst, former pastor of St. Mary's Cathedral, was dressed in the vestments of his new office on March 24, 1960. Bishop Leo Byrne, auxiliary bishop of St. Louis, was seated at left, and at right was Bishop Mark Carroll of the Wichita, Kan., Diocese.

25 years ago: March 24, 1985

With the University High athletic program on shaky ground because of the school's planned closing, prep basketball coach Don Mansfield has switched teams; he will take over the boys basketball program at Chaffee High School next season.

Cape Mattress Co., which has been on Cape Rock Drive for 30 years, is moving to a building at 36 N. Spanish St.

50 years ago: March 24, 1960

Amid a burst of trumpet fanfare, Bishop-elect Marion F. Forst is heralded into St. Mary's Cathedral and is consecrated a bishop by the Most Rev. Charles H. Helmsing, bishop of the Springfield-Cape Girardeau Diocese; Forst will be enthroned the bishop of the Dodge City, Kan., Diocese on April 5.

Appointment of the Rev. Leo P. Kampmann, pastor of St. Michael's Parish in Fredericktown, Mo., as pastor of St. Mary's Cathedral in Cape Girardeau is announced by the Bishop Charles H. Helmsing.

75 years ago: March 24, 1935

The Rev. Roland Reichmann, newly elected pastor of First English Evangelical Lutheran Church in Cape Girardeau, will take charge of the congregation May 8; Reichmann will complete his course at the Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary in May and then come here.

After being off duty nearly four months with a foot infection, Curtis L. Childs, dean of patrolmen of the Cape Girardeau Police Department, has recovered sufficiently to return to work; he is serving as desk sergeant but will return to his regular beat April 1.

100 years ago: March 24, 1910

Among the boats arriving at Cape Girardeau is the Racine of Muskegon, Mich., a beautiful 36-foot cruiser; the boat left Muskegon on Nov. 27, arriving in St. Louis early in December; the craft was caught and wrecked in the ice jam at Chautauqua, Mo., on Dec. 10, and remained there until Feb. 1, when a 100-foot channel was cut through 10 inches of ice to free it; during the time the boat was stuck in the ice gorge, the crew lived in a camp on the shore nearby.

A gang of men begins the work of preparing for the creosoted wood blocks on Spanish Street in the morning; the street car company is excavating and leveling the tracks so that the concrete foundation may be laid at once.

-- Sharon K. Sanders

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: