- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
Every year, we dutifully and thankfully acknowledge our mothers.
We buy gifts.
We select greeting cards that say the nicest things.
We become part of the crowd at our favorite restaurant.
We make a special day in every way we can.
Which is exactly what we ought to be doing today.
One of the greatest gifts anyone can receive is a mother's smile.
So how about today we try to create a few grins? Just imagine if some famous mothers had spoken these words:
* Paul Revere's mother: "I don't care where you think you have to go, young man. Midnight is past your curfew!"
* Mona Lisa's mother: "After all that money your father and I spent on braces, Mona, that's the biggest smile you can give us?"
* Christopher Columbus' mother: "I don't care what you've discovered, Christopher. You still could have written!"
* Batman's mother: "It's a nice car, Bruce, but do you realize how much the insurance is going to be?"
* Albert Einstein's mother: "But, Albert, it's your senior picture. Can't you do something about your hair?"
* Thomas Edison's mother: "Of course I'm proud that you invented the electric light bulb, Thomas. Now turn off that light and get to bed!"
Have a wonderful Mother's Day.