- Owner of Mary Jane Burgers & Brew in Perryville to open new culinary concept in Cape (9/15/17)3
- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- How the story of one dog is helping others (9/14/17)1
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Eyewitnesses testify about fatal shooting; men were using drugs, alcohol (9/14/17)
- Jury finds Harris guilty of murder, 3 other counts (9/15/17)4
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
Four charged in Buenos Aires nightclub fire
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Five former municipal officials have been charged with manslaughter in connection with the December nightclub fire here that claimed 193 lives.
Judge Marcelo Lucini handed down the charges Friday against a city official, Fabiana Fiszbin, and four others who oversaw the city's nightclubs at the time of the Dec. 30 fire at the Cromagnon Republic club in downtown Buenos Aires. The charges came after months of investigation.
After the deaths, the Buenos Aires mayor fired many city inspectors and ordered hundreds of nightclubs to close temporarily amid rigorous inspections.
Authorities earlier filed manslaughter charges against the owner of the nightclub, a businessman named Omar Chaban who has been in police custody since the fire. If convicted, Chaban, like the others charged Friday, could face a prison sentence of eight to 25 years.