- Compliance check results in underage citations at four Cape bars (7/19/17)1
- Former Sikeston DPS director denies knowing about allegations against detective (7/20/17)1
- 49-year-old homicide victim found in Cape (7/20/17)
- Isle Casino to host wide-ranging career fair Wednesday (7/16/17)
- Lying police? Missing files, lost evidence: Newspaper investigation reveals glaring details in David Robinson case (7/16/17)2
- Buffalo Wild Wings to hold fundraiser Wednesday for ailing Cape officer (7/19/17)1
- At least one Perryville cop disciplined for misconduct (7/20/17)1
- Sikeston detective's files about murder suspect missing from DPS (7/18/17)1
- Witnesses make claims of officer corruption in Box/Robinson case (7/17/17)1
- Business notebook: Jackson boutique has regional roots in retail (7/17/17)
Four charged in Buenos Aires nightclub fire
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina -- Five former municipal officials have been charged with manslaughter in connection with the December nightclub fire here that claimed 193 lives.
Judge Marcelo Lucini handed down the charges Friday against a city official, Fabiana Fiszbin, and four others who oversaw the city's nightclubs at the time of the Dec. 30 fire at the Cromagnon Republic club in downtown Buenos Aires. The charges came after months of investigation.
After the deaths, the Buenos Aires mayor fired many city inspectors and ordered hundreds of nightclubs to close temporarily amid rigorous inspections.
Authorities earlier filed manslaughter charges against the owner of the nightclub, a businessman named Omar Chaban who has been in police custody since the fire. If convicted, Chaban, like the others charged Friday, could face a prison sentence of eight to 25 years.