- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Preliminary hearing set for jailer charged with sex with inmate
A man charged with having a sexual encounter with a Scott County Jail inmate will have a preliminary hearing next month
Ron Baker, 41, of Sikeston, Mo., will appear April 15 for a preliminary hearing.
Baker is charged with the felony of sexual contact with a prisoner. He is also charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly fondling an inmate inside the property room. Baker was released on his own recognizance Monday after an appearance before Judge Terry Brown.
Baker was a correctional officer at the county jail. According to police, Baker escorted another inmate to a property room. Video surveillance showed the two were inside for about 11 minutes. In an interview, the inmate alleged the two engaged in a sexual act while inside.