- Man accused of setting fire to Delta bar; posted photos of it burning on Facebook (9/17/17)5
- McClure man accused of leaving children in hot truck while gambling in casino (9/19/17)1
- Say Cheese: The story behind the famous sandwiches at the East Perry Fair (9/22/17)
- New boutique store advocates for special-needs people (9/19/17)
- Anne Limbaugh dies, leaves legacy of caring (9/22/17)
- Planet Fitness to anchor Town Plaza shopping center (9/18/17)2
- Former major-league slugger Darryl Strawberry to speak at La Croix (9/20/17)
- Mo. conservation agents help fight fires in western U.S. (9/15/17)
- Retailer may come to Jackson; rezoning needed first (9/17/17)2
- Young entrepreneurs add fresh ideas, unique offerings for area market (9/18/17)
At a joint meeting of planning commissions from Jackson and Cape Girardeau in October, it was suggested that subdivision regulations in Cape Girardeau County would be useful, especially when those subdivisions are voluntarily annexed into either of the cities. A committee has been formed to develop proposed regulations, a process that could take a year and a half and that will include public hearings.
Before any regulations could be adopted by the Cape Girardeau County Commission, the proposed regulations would have to be recommended by a county planning commission. Drafting the regulations before the county has a planning commission will give the county's top elected officials -- and the public -- an idea of what's in store.
After the regulations are put together, the county commission could ask voters to approve the creation of a planning commission. The final decision on any regulations would be up to the three elected county commissioners.
Anyone interested in this important process can participate by attending the meetings of the Cape Girardeau-Jackson Joint Subdivision Advisory Committee as it reviews what other first-class counties in Missouri have done in this regard. The next meeting is set for 6 p.m. April 12, tentatively at the Osage Community Centre in Cape Girardeau.