- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)7
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Man convicted of Perryville convenience-store heist (9/21/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)4
At a joint meeting of planning commissions from Jackson and Cape Girardeau in October, it was suggested that subdivision regulations in Cape Girardeau County would be useful, especially when those subdivisions are voluntarily annexed into either of the cities. A committee has been formed to develop proposed regulations, a process that could take a year and a half and that will include public hearings.
Before any regulations could be adopted by the Cape Girardeau County Commission, the proposed regulations would have to be recommended by a county planning commission. Drafting the regulations before the county has a planning commission will give the county's top elected officials -- and the public -- an idea of what's in store.
After the regulations are put together, the county commission could ask voters to approve the creation of a planning commission. The final decision on any regulations would be up to the three elected county commissioners.
Anyone interested in this important process can participate by attending the meetings of the Cape Girardeau-Jackson Joint Subdivision Advisory Committee as it reviews what other first-class counties in Missouri have done in this regard. The next meeting is set for 6 p.m. April 12, tentatively at the Osage Community Centre in Cape Girardeau.