- A Whopper of an honor: Local company named top Burger King franchisee (11/15/17)3
- Southern Illinois farmer's grapevines destroyed by dicamba; four years of work lost (10/29/17)2
- Aldi store reopens after renovations (11/14/17)3
- Residents view pedestrian bridge as eyesore; city manager says it's designed to rust (11/13/17)8
- Decisions coming soon on steel mill, smelter in New Madrid (11/17/17)1
- Federal jury finds surgeon Fonn guilty of kickback scheme (11/10/17)4
- State audit: Bollinger County tax levies violate state law; county commission disagrees (11/17/17)3
- Cape native co-directs Thanksgiving-related indie film, 'Drinksgiving' (11/17/17)
- Son of Westboro Baptist Church patriarch discusses abuse, faith (11/15/17)6
- Scott City council hires former SEMO public safety director as city administrator (11/15/17)
Anniversaries help us mark the important milestones in our personal lives and in the organizations and institutions that provide the durable fabric of our society. In addition to last week's 50th anniversary celebration at Alma Schrader Elementary School in Cape Girardeau, our communities have had occasion recently to mark the 175th anniversary of Cape Girardeau's First Presbyterian Church and the 50th anniversary of the merger of the Scott County towns of Ancell and Fornfelt into Scott City.
First Presbyterian has been on the corner of Broadway and Lorimier Street overlooking the Mississippi River since 1935. The congregation will be holding special events throughout 2010 to mark this significant anniversary.
The start of the 175th anniversary celebration coincided with the retirement of its pastor, the Rev. Paul Kabo, after a decade that included growth and a major renovation of the third building to house the Presbyterians at the same location.
The celebration of Scott City's anniversary was more muted but of significance to area historians. Several communities settled by mostly German immigrants prior to the Civil War have, over the years, combined into Scott City, home of the Southeast Missouri Port Authority.
Congratulations to everyone involved in the contributions these important institutions make.