- Two men accused of selling meth to undercover cop (6/22/17)
- Cape man stabbed in head, arm after strip-club incident; skull fractured, police say (6/25/17)3
- Custom cuts: Local hairstylist provides free haircuts to special-needs children (6/26/17)3
- Police: Man grabbed wheel, tried to kill driver and himself in Jackson crash (6/23/17)
- Jackson scores high in survey of residents; better streets, Aldi are high priorities (6/20/17)4
- Annual SEMO District Fair event lineup announced (6/23/17)2
- Marble Hill mayor hires city manager without board approval (6/21/17)4
- Oran town board fired officer before hiring him as police chief; city officials say they can't remember reason for firing (6/25/17)2
- Playing with fire (6/25/17)
- Two charged in theft of jewelry from Cape storage facility (6/23/17)1
Communities show off their best sides when they promote and support projects to benefit those among us who need special attention. Two current projects fit the bill.
The Jackson Jaycees recently contributed $10,000 for an all-accessible playground. Melaina's Magical Playground is to be built at Cape County Park North. The Cape Girardeau County Commission has pledged $150,000 for the project, and the Cape Girardeau Noon Optimist Club has pledged $100,000. The playground, named for 3-year-old Melaina Cunningham who died a year ago, will be equipped for users of all ages and abilities. The total cost is estimated to be $750,000. Donations may be sent to Melaina Cunningham and Friends Park Fund, P.O. Box 211, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Another special project to create shelter for the homeless in downtown Cape Girardeau also is seeking donations. Alliance Bank has donated the use of a building on South Sprigg Street for a year. Money is needed for renovations to the building. Materials are expected to cost $35,000. James Wheatley of J&R Construction is the volunteer contractor for the project. Donations to the Shelter of Hope may be made at the bank, 217 N. Kingshighway.
Both of these projects deserve special consideration. Your help will be appreciated.