- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Children's exposure to meth via parents is growing; Mo. Children's Division seeing effects (9/18/16)8
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
Communities show off their best sides when they promote and support projects to benefit those among us who need special attention. Two current projects fit the bill.
The Jackson Jaycees recently contributed $10,000 for an all-accessible playground. Melaina's Magical Playground is to be built at Cape County Park North. The Cape Girardeau County Commission has pledged $150,000 for the project, and the Cape Girardeau Noon Optimist Club has pledged $100,000. The playground, named for 3-year-old Melaina Cunningham who died a year ago, will be equipped for users of all ages and abilities. The total cost is estimated to be $750,000. Donations may be sent to Melaina Cunningham and Friends Park Fund, P.O. Box 211, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Another special project to create shelter for the homeless in downtown Cape Girardeau also is seeking donations. Alliance Bank has donated the use of a building on South Sprigg Street for a year. Money is needed for renovations to the building. Materials are expected to cost $35,000. James Wheatley of J&R Construction is the volunteer contractor for the project. Donations to the Shelter of Hope may be made at the bank, 217 N. Kingshighway.
Both of these projects deserve special consideration. Your help will be appreciated.