- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)9
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)15
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)34
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Company to start recruiting businesses to Jackson, Cape (12/9/16)14
- 13 venues, 60 sponsors participating in Happy Slapowitz's Toy Bash on Thursday (12/7/16)2
Communities show off their best sides when they promote and support projects to benefit those among us who need special attention. Two current projects fit the bill.
The Jackson Jaycees recently contributed $10,000 for an all-accessible playground. Melaina's Magical Playground is to be built at Cape County Park North. The Cape Girardeau County Commission has pledged $150,000 for the project, and the Cape Girardeau Noon Optimist Club has pledged $100,000. The playground, named for 3-year-old Melaina Cunningham who died a year ago, will be equipped for users of all ages and abilities. The total cost is estimated to be $750,000. Donations may be sent to Melaina Cunningham and Friends Park Fund, P.O. Box 211, Cape Girardeau, MO 63702.
Another special project to create shelter for the homeless in downtown Cape Girardeau also is seeking donations. Alliance Bank has donated the use of a building on South Sprigg Street for a year. Money is needed for renovations to the building. Materials are expected to cost $35,000. James Wheatley of J&R Construction is the volunteer contractor for the project. Donations to the Shelter of Hope may be made at the bank, 217 N. Kingshighway.
Both of these projects deserve special consideration. Your help will be appreciated.