- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Local students put inside spin on Olympics
Students from St. Paul Lutheran School's kindergarten classes held their own "Winter Olympics" Feb. 23 and 25 in the school gym.
With the aid of the fourth grade classes, kindergarten athletes participated in six events: bobsled (kneeling on a wheeled scooter and pushing off to see how far they would glide); speed skating (sliding stocking footed in heats to a finish line); curling (sliding a paper plate on the floor and measuring the distance traveled); figure skating (weaving in and out of cones and being timed); ski jumping (jumping a measured distance from the bleachers); cross country skiing (timed while sliding along a balance beam until they stepped off).
Fourth graders of Tammy Mueller and Joseph Graefe helped with judging, measuring and keeping records. Kindergarten teachers, Lisa White and Marilyn Hoffstetter, and student teacher, Lauryn Loftis, also directed events each day.
Official Olympic music was played during the awards ceremony on Feb. 26. Winners were (listed gold to bronze placement):
Curling -- Britton Griffin, Aaron Birk, Mason Bagley
Figure skating -- Dylan Weber, Dillon Jenkins, Tristan Birk
Bobsled -- Julia Schneider, Tristan Birk, Dominic Scott
Ski jumping -- Flint Guilliams, Mason Bagley, William Jones
Speed skating -- Matthew Clippard, Flint Guilliams, Caleb Gast
Cross country skiing -- Drake Geringer, Layton Lipke, Jacob Simmons
This story was submitted by an seMissourian.com user. To submit your own story, look for the "Your Photos" and "Your Stories" sections on the seMissourian.com home page.