- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Kelly edges Rams in SEMO tourney opener
Kelly outlasted visiting Scott City 3-2 in 10 innings Thursday in an opening-round game of the SEMO Conference baseball tournament.
The Hawks, the eighth seed, led off the bottom of the 10th with a pair of walks and loaded the bases on an error before Kendal Deason delivered the game-winning hit.
Kelly (6-6) starter Caleb Daughetee and Scott City reliever Ryan Modglin both had solid pitching performances.
Daughetee gave up two runs in 7 1/3 innings. Deason pitched the final 2 2/3 innings for the win.
Modglin entered for Scott City in the third inning and threw 6 1/3 innings of two-hit ball.
Scott City, the No. 9 seed, outhit the Hawks 7-3 but could only manage a pair of runs in the sixth.
Kelly scored two unearned runs in the first inning to take the early lead.
Blake Dirnberger had two hits for the Rams (4-7).
Kelly plays top-seeded Jackson today at 4 p.m. in a game scheduled to be played at Jackson, weather permitting. Scott City will play Saturday at 11 a.m. in a consolation bracket game.
The other opening round game between Chaffee and New Madrid County Central was postponed due to rain. Chaffee will face NMCC at Siketon at 4 p.m. today, with the winner to play No. 2 Sikeston immediately following the first game. Other tournament games today include No. 5 Poplar Bluff at No. 4 Notre Dame and No. 6 Dexter at No. 3 Central.
KELLY 3, SCOTT CITY 2
WP -- Kendal Deason. LP -- Ryan Modglin (1-1). 2B -- Luke McClellan (S), S. Ayers (K), Caleb Daughetee (K). Multiple hits -- Scott City, Blake Dirnberger 2-3. Records -- Kelly 6-6, Scott City 4-7.
Meadow Heights 8, Scott County Central 4
Tyler Wagner had two hits and four RBIs in a road win.
Brian Miinch struck out six in five innings for the win. Miinch allowed just three hits for the Panthers (6-6).
WP -- Brian Miinch, 2-3. LP -- P. Johnson. 2B -- Tyler Wagner (M), P. Johnson (S). Multiple hits -- Meadow Heights, Tyler Wagner 2-4; Scott County, Griffin 3-3. Records -- Meadow Heights 6-6.
GOLF Dexter 151, Jackson 161
Josh Wheeler led Jackson with a 39 in the Indians' last match before the district tournament on Monday.
Taylor McDowell shot a 40, and Gabe Sauer and Ryan Mouser each shot a 41.