- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Scott County man charged in severe beating of pregnant woman
BENTON, Mo. -- A Haywood City, Mo., has been arrested in connection with an alleged beating of a 26-year-old woman, according to a Scott County Sheriff's Department news release.
Jim "Bug" Harris Jr., 49, is charged with first-degree robbery, first-degree assault and armed criminal action. His bond has been set at $100,000.
According to Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter, the sheriff's department received a report Wednesday night that a 26-year-old woman was at the hospital with severe head injuries that she received at her Haywood City home. The victim, who is seven months pregnant, reported that someone broke into her home and pistol whipped her.
When investigators responded to crime scene, they found a massive amount of blood throughout the inside of the residence along with human hair and indications that there had been an altercation inside the residence, the news release said.
Harris became a suspect and was arrested by the Charleston Department of Public Safety.
Walter said blood found inside Harris' vehicle and on his clothes is believed to be that of the victim.
Walter said the victim was flown to a St. Louis hospital Wednesday night in critical condition but understands her condition has since been updated to stable.