- City suspends liquor license for downtown Cape bar; owners say they want to fix problems (3/26/17)7
- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)24
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)15
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
The durability of marriage was honored at a special Valentine's Day party in Cape Girardeau, and 230 couples -- all married 50 years or more -- took part in the festivities. This annual event started when many of this year's honored couples had been married about 20 years. The party's sponsors are Schnucks and KZIM.
The main focus of the party is marriages that have endured both the good times and the bad times. When this year's youngest honorees said "I do" the world was changing. Here are some reminders from 1960:
The U.S. population was 177.8 million. The minimum wage was $1 an hour. The average annual salary was $4,743. Life expectancy for American men was 66.6 years, 73.1 years for women. Elvis got out of the Army and resumed his musical career. The lineup of new prime-time TV shows included "The Flintstones" and "Route 66." The Winter Olympics was held in Squaw Valley. A new house cost $12,700. Gasoline was 25 cents a gallon. A new car cost $2,600. The national debt was $286.3 billion.
The couples at this year's Schnucks/KZIM party have endured many changes -- but not in their commitments to each other and the enduring rewards of a lasting marriage. Congratulations to all of this years honorees, especially those married the longest: 71 years.