- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
The durability of marriage was honored at a special Valentine's Day party in Cape Girardeau, and 230 couples -- all married 50 years or more -- took part in the festivities. This annual event started when many of this year's honored couples had been married about 20 years. The party's sponsors are Schnucks and KZIM.
The main focus of the party is marriages that have endured both the good times and the bad times. When this year's youngest honorees said "I do" the world was changing. Here are some reminders from 1960:
The U.S. population was 177.8 million. The minimum wage was $1 an hour. The average annual salary was $4,743. Life expectancy for American men was 66.6 years, 73.1 years for women. Elvis got out of the Army and resumed his musical career. The lineup of new prime-time TV shows included "The Flintstones" and "Route 66." The Winter Olympics was held in Squaw Valley. A new house cost $12,700. Gasoline was 25 cents a gallon. A new car cost $2,600. The national debt was $286.3 billion.
The couples at this year's Schnucks/KZIM party have endured many changes -- but not in their commitments to each other and the enduring rewards of a lasting marriage. Congratulations to all of this years honorees, especially those married the longest: 71 years.