Out of the past 2/14/10
Sunday, February 14, 2010
25 years ago: Feb. 14, 1985
Oak Ridge High School loses its homecoming basketball game in the evening but saves its gymnasium from a fire after the contest; the blaze destroys three classrooms in a separate structure behind the gym.
Charlotte Craig, administrative nurse, and Loretta Dickerson, secretary, mark their tenth anniversary with the Cape County Nursing Service; a luncheon honors the pair at service headquarters in the old public library building in Common Pleas Courthouse Park.
50 years ago: Feb. 14, 1960
The Rev. L.F. Pain, pastor of the Fornfelt Baptist Church for 19 years, has presented his resignation to the board of deacons, to become effective Feb. 28; he has accepted the pastorate of the Iona Baptist Church north of Cape Girardeau.
The Rev. John E. Modde, C.M., has been appointed pastor of Holy Family Catholic Church and assistant pastor of St. Vincent's Catholic Church in Cape Girardeau.
75 years ago: Feb. 14, 1935
A list of 14 projects suggested by members of the Cape Girardeau City Council for civic improvements through use of Public Works Administration funds has been forwarded to Col. Hugh Miller, in charge of the administration of the W.P.A. in Missouri; the top three projects were remodeling of the Common Pleas Courthouse and rebuilding of terraces in Courthouse Park, repair of the Community Clubhouse and general improvement of Fairground Park, and improvement of the city's cemeteries.
Abiding by the old saying that garden seed placed in the ground on Valentine's Day are almost certain to grow, many Girardeans busy themselves in their gardens; sale of seed this year has been greater than for several years.
100 years ago: Feb. 14, 1910
Forty-two farmers are enrolled in the agricultural short course that begins in the morning at the manual training building at the Normal School; the first lecture is by W.R. Cockefair of Warrensburg, Mo., and titled "Selected Corn for Yield."
Bessie Brebner of Ste. Genevieve, Mo., enrolls in the Moothart Business College; the school is continually growing under the instruction of professor C.P. Coley.
-- Sharon K. Sanders