- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
ANNA, Ill. -- Omer Lincoln Owens, 103, of Anna died Tuesday, April 19, 2005, at Union County Hospital.
He was born Feb. 6, 1902, in Dixon, Ky., son of Sylvester and Ella I. Farmer Owens. He and Sylvia Joiner were married in Saline County, Ill. She preceded him in death. He later married Ellen Mae Winters in 1945, who died in May 1962. He and Helen Wiley Griffith were married Sept. 15, 1967, and she died Jan. 17, 2002.
Owens was a rural and city mail carrier in Harrisburg, Ill., more than 30 years. He was a member of First Evangelical Presbyterian Church and the choir, Egyptian Jubilee Singers Gospel Quartet and Harrisburg Masonic Lodge 325 AF&AM.
Survivors include four sons, Harold Owens of Phoenix, Ariz., Gerald Owens of Grand Rapids, Mich., Tom Owens of Avila Beach, Calif., Kenneth Owens of Springfield, Ill.; a daughter, Reva Lockie of Calico Rock, Ark.; two stepsons, Floyd "Corky" Griffith of Nashville, Tenn., Davie Griffith of Bloomington, Ill.; a sister, Francis Ferguson of Princeton, Ky.; 10 grandchildren; several great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by a stepson, four sisters and four brothers.
Friends may call at Lutz and Rendleman Funeral Home in Anna from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday.
The funeral will be at 10 a.m. Saturday at the funeral home, with the Rev. Randy Carstens officiating. Burial will be in Sunset Lawn Cemetery in Harrisburg.