- Jackson man to cast electoral vote for Trump; others trying to dissuade him (11/29/16)51
- Man killed by vehicle had been charged with domestic assault (11/30/16)
- Hotel chain president: City should regulate short-term lodging (11/27/16)16
- Former Cape council member dies, remembered as 'wonderful public servant' (11/29/16)1
- Woman accused in three robberies disguised herself as man (11/29/16)5
- Thankful people: Marble Hill woman been through much and remains thankful (11/24/16)
- Officers: Delta man dies during domestic dispute (11/28/16)1
- Business notebook: New store shows faith in Scott City district (11/28/16)
- Missouri chamber to honor Cape's John Mehner (11/30/16)4
- Light Christmas: Thousands gather to view Parade of Lights (11/28/16)5
Freedom by Choice
If I asked you what freedom means to you, you would probably make comments as being free to vote, to go and come as you wish and the list could go on and on. We in the U.S. are free to do just about anything within reason and some might feel that we are free to do too many things. We, obviously, live in a day that anything goes; if it feels good it must be ok! Is that the way you feel?
I remember the day when high school kids sneaked around the corner of the football field, at Hannibal, Mo., to quickly smoke a cigarette. For many years, now, we have lived in a society of drug addicts and many other wrongs that I won't mention as I would like to get this story printed. This being my first story, I don't know how much freedom I have to speak what is so obvious to many of us in this age of "everything goes."
Let me tell you what I feel is real FREEDOM! You see, I happen to believe a book that some say is just Fair Tales. That book is the Bible; God's Holy inspired Word! For many years I thought of myself as being a free person. However, I now realize how imprisoned I was and yet free to walk the streets and to live what I thought was a pretty normal life. But, according to what I've been reading in my Bible, I was spiritually dead, even though I thought that I was really alive and quite well. And, yes, quite free. But, you see, I wasn't free at all, but very much without the true freedom of living under the love and care of my heavenly Father and His son, Jesus the Christ!
How about it? Would you like true, lasting freedom? 1John 1:9 says, "If we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from ALL unrighteousness!" Do you think my Bible is a Fairy Tale? Would you bet where you are going to spend eternity on your choice? If you are one that believes in the Bible, are you really sure that you would be with God if you died this minute? I pray that you won't wait to be sure. Just confess with your mouth 1John 1:9 and be obedient to your heavenly Father. God loves each of us more than we will ever understand. He loves us so much that He chooses to let us make the choice to choose Him! God Bless, Dr. G.