- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)47
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
SIKESTON, Mo. -- Betty Lou Bishop VanPool, 80, of Sikeston died Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2010, at Life Care Center in Cape Girardeau.
She was born March 5, 1929, in Galatia, Ill., to Joe and Beulah Marie Lowery Bishop Sr. She and Wilbur Hershel VanPool were married June 15, 1946. He preceded her in death Nov. 19, 1993.
VanPool lived in Sikeston most of her life, where she was employed as a cook and waitress and then as a custodian at Sikeston Junior High School until retiring. She was a member of Sikeston Eagles Ladies Auxiliary.
Survivors include a son and daughter-in-law, Larry Hershel and Carol Dean Northcott VanPool of Jackson; two sisters, Christina Furlow of Christopher, Ill., Mary Stalcup of West Frankfort, Ill.; seven grandchildren, Joyce Sue Staggs West, Patricia Gayle Tyra Penrod, Lee Ann Tyra Gremard, Lawrence Edward Tyra, Edward Lee Tyra, Charles Derek Tyra, Larry Kyle VanPool; 12 great-grandchildren; and three great-great-grandchildren.
She was preceded in death by two daughters, Ruth Ann VanPool and Carolyn Sue VanPool; four brothers and two sisters.
Visitation will be from 9 a.m. until service time Monday at McMikle Funeral Home in Charleston, Mo.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Monday at the funeral home, with Pastor Gary Teague of Rolla, Mo., officiating. Interment will be in Garden of Memories Cemetery at Sikeston.
Online condolences may be shared at www.mcmiklefuneralhome.com.