- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Chaffee man charged with attempting to have ex-wife killed (8/20/17)3
- Former Chaffee officer faces DWI charge (8/20/17)2
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- PBS crew filming in Cape; Glenn House to be featured (8/17/17)
- Jumbo size: Rhodes 101 sets a world record with 15-foot, 4,700 gallon drinking cup (8/21/17)3
- Scott City Council reinstates police chief (8/16/17)1
- Unions deliver signatures to block right-to-work in Missouri (8/20/17)40
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
Production was worthy of Broadway
To the editor:
Our anxiousness over seeing the Southeast Missouri State University production of "Guys and Dolls" had been heightened by the fact that our friend, Judith Farris, vocal coach from New York City, would be returning to see the show.
What great work the SEMO vocal teachers must have done, as Judith's few hours with them was only the beginning. How fortunate SEMO is to have such a fine music department. The great orchestra outdid itself in that cramped area.
And I don't want to forget the spectacular dance scenes. Even the gyrating bodies on the benches of the mission scene came in progressive waves, which must have required much practice.
The theater and its teachers have been a favorite of mine since my late husband, David Kaempfer, spent almost five years helping the students make sets after he retired from broadcasting. David would have admired the wonderful sets ably changed by capable stage hands in what seemed like two-minute timing. Properties too were smoothy handled. Makeup and costumes were as good as it gets. The technical staff created great lighting and sound.
When I saw Judith after the show, I said, "This could have been an off-Broadway show." Her answer: "Off-Broadway? It could have been on Broadway!" And who put the extravaganza together? The extremely capable director, Kenn Stilson. Do it some more.
MARY JO and KEN MOXEY, Cape Girardeau