- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Pagnozzi to appear at annual Uhls event
He might not have quite the name recognition of Whitey Herzog, but Tom Pagnozzi still figures to help make the second annual Joe Uhls Memorial Golf Tournament & Dinner a big hit.
The event -- named in honor of Southeast Missouri State's late, legendary baseball coach -- is a fundraiser for the Redhawks' program.
Pagnozzi, a catcher for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1987 to 1998 -- he won three Gold Gloves -- will be the special guest for this year's festivities on April 25.
"We had a great first event last year, and it should be tremendous again this year," Southeast coach Mark Hogan said. "We're really looking forward to it."
The four-person scramble tournament will begin at noon (registration at 10:30 a.m., followed by lunch) at Bent Creek Golf Course in Jackson. A buffet dinner and silent auction will follow at 6 p.m. at the Cape Girardeau Elks Lodge.
Pagnozzi, the featured speaker, will address the gathering at 7:45 p.m., with the event scheduled to conclude at approximately 10 p.m.
"Even though it's just the second year, this has become the biggest fundraiser we have, and it's just a fun time," Hogan said. "Whitey got it started for us last year, and it's amazing the response we had. We're hoping to build on it.
"Whitey was a great speaker, and so is Pagnozzi. Like Whitey, Tom is going to join us for the golf tournament, and we may have some other Cardinals greats join us for the day. It should be a blast."
Hogan said the tournament will accept only 32 teams, and most of the slots are already filled. There are a variety of financial packages for tournament entry.
* Grand Slam package of $1,000 per team includes entry to the tournament, a banner at the tournament and dinner, four Joe Uhls Memorial golf shirts, four Redhawks windbreaker jackets, official Redhawk game hat, four tickets to the dinner/auction with special seating and four golf team pictures with Pagnozzi.
* Home Run package of $600 per team includes entry to the tournament, four Redhawks windbreaker jackets and four tickets to the dinner/auction.
There are also individual options: hole sponsorship for $100, with a tournament banner and dinner/auction ticket; and dinner/auction only for $30. Hogan said there are still plenty of dinner/auction tickets available.
For more information or to enter, call 986-6002 or 651-2645.
"Part of the success of our program over the years is the result of all the great contributors who have supported us," Hogan said. "This event was a huge success last year and it should be again this year. I know everyone will have a great time."