Missouri hangs on to top Texas Tech in OT

Thursday, January 14, 2010
Texas Tech's Mike Singletary is defended closely by Missouri's Keith Ramsey during the first half Wednesday in Lubbock, Texas. (GEOFFREY MCALLISTER~ Associated Press)

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Marcus Denmon and Kim English scored 20 points apiece to lead Missouri to a 94-89 win over Texas Tech in overtime Wednesday night.

The Tigers scored on their first five possessions in overtime to go up 90-86. The Red Raiders pulled within 90-89 on a three-point play by Brad Reese with 1:01 to go. But Denmon and Michael Dixon hit two free throws apiece to seal it for Missouri (14-3, 2-0 Big 12).

The game went into overtime after Texas Tech scored 13 points in the final 1:01, including two 3-pointers by Reese, one by Nick Okorie and a layup by Mike Singletary to pull the Red Raiders within 79-77 with 25.5 seconds remaining.

John Roberson hit two free throws with 15.8 seconds left to tie it 79-79 and force overtime.

Roberson scored 25 points -- all in the second half -- to lead the Red Raiders (12-4, 0-2).

The Tigers had six players in double figures, while Texas Tech had four.

The Red Raiders went to the 3-pointer late to get back into the game. They shot 20 3s in the second half.

Roberson was 4 of 10 from beyond the arc, and the team finished 12 of 27 from 3-point range.

Reese hit a 3-pointer with 1:01 remaining in regulation before Theron Jenkins stole Missouri's inbound pass and found Reese wide open for another 3 to pull the Red Raiders within 74-72.

Denmon and Keith Ramsey hit three free throws between them to make it 77-72 before Okorie's 3-pointer made it 77-75 with 37.5 seconds left in regulation.

Denmon sank two free throws to put the Tigers up 79-75 before Singletary hit his layup to make it 79-77. That's when Roberson hit his two free throws to send it into overtime.

Reese hit on 5 of 6 from 3-point range to finish with 20 points.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: