Out of the past 4/9/05
Saturday, April 9, 2005
25 years ago: April 9, 1980
The Cape Girardeau Board of Education has approved submission of a preschool handicapped discretionary grant request that would, if successful, establish a preschool program for handicapped 3-, 4- and 5-year-old children next fall.
The Jackson school board last night approved a plan to eliminate the second-grade class at Gordonville by bussing the nine second graders to the Central Elementary School in Jackson next school year.
50 years ago: April 9, 1955
A number of residents report feeling an earthquake shortly after 7 a.m., which rattles windows and shakes houses; but apparently no damage is done.
The golden eagle that was missing for several months from its perch atop the brick pillar on Freedom Corner, at Broadway and North Boulevard, has been repaired and put back on the column; a wing was broken on the figure and was repaired by the men of the fire department.
75 years ago: April 9, 1930
Four physicians are appointed to the Cape Girardeau Board of Health by Commissioner Phillip H. Steck, upon approval of the city council; those appointed are G.B. Schulz, W.N. Howard, R.P. Dalton and John St. Avit.
Dismissal of awards totaling $331,711, granted by three special commissioners to Mississippi County landowners whose property was taken for a setback levee being built by the government, is asked in a motion filed in federal court here.
100 years ago: April 9, 1905
John Sackman, tailor and haberdasher, has been awarded a contract by the Drummers Association for furnishing the uniforms, shoes, hats, shirts, umbrellas, etc., for the 600 members when they meet in Cape Girardeau May 25-27 for their annual jollification.
Helen West, who some time ago accompanied her mother to Hot Springs, Ark., returns home.
-- Sharon K. Sanders