- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
ND, Central, St. Vincent win in soccer tournament openers
Notre Dame, Central and St. Vincent all picked up first-round victories Friday in the Noon Optimist Spring Classic girls soccer tournament at Central.
Notre Dame (4-2-1) defeated Marion, Ill., 2-0 behind a goal and an assist from Meridith Medlin.
Medlin scored an unassisted goal early in the first half and fed Lauren Mehner for another early in the second. Sophomore Claudia Brauss recorded the shutout in her first varsity start in goal.
Notre Dame will take on St. Vincent at 4 p.m. today in the semifinals. The Squaws defeated Notre Dame 1-0 last week.
St. Vincent (5-3) pulled away from a 1-1 halftime lock to beat Poplar Bluff 3-2 on Friday.
Central (4-1) scored two early goals and defeated Farmington 2-0.
The Tigers' Laura Burdick scored just one minute into the contest, with an assist from Lauren Thompson. Kate Miller scored11 minutes later with Heather Deisher assisting. Chelsea Burns claimed the shutout.
Central will play Sikeston at 2 p.m. today in the semifinals.
Sikeston and Perryville were scoreless after two overtime periods, but Sikeston outscored the Pirates 4-3 in a penalty kick shootout for the victory.
Perryville will play Farmington at 4 p.m. today in the consolation semifinals.
Ashley Riney, Chris Schremp and Amber Hacker each scored for Perryville (2-3) in the shootout.
Perryville attempted 19 shots in regulation. Chastity Marr had five saves in goal for the Pirates.
BASEBALL Oran 2, Delta 1
Cody Crowden suffered the loss for Delta (0-3), allowing three hits while going the distance.
Oran (4-1) scored on a wild pitch with one out in the bottom of the seventh to win.
WP -- Austin Dumey, 2-0. LP -- Cody Crowden, 0-2. 2B -- Cody Schrum (D). Records -- Delta 0-3, Oran 4-1.
SOFTBALL Delta 6, Oran 0
Sarah Cook pitched a shutout and slammed four hits, as Delta improved to 3-0 with a road win.
Cook struck out seven.
Kaci Menz, Shea Smith, Amanda Drew and Casey Seabaugh each added two hits for Delta.
Hannah Seyer took the loss for Oran.
WP -- Sarah Cook, 3-0. LP -- Hannah Seyer. 2B -- Amanda Drew (D), Casey Seabaugh (D). Multiple hits -- Delta, Cook 4-4, Kaci Menz 2-4, Shea Smith 2-4, Drew 2-3, Seabaugh 2-3. Records -- Delta 3-0.
TRACK AND FIELD
Ste. Gen 82, Valle 50, Saxony Lutheran 40
Saxony Lutheran was last in a three-team meet at Ste. Genevieve.
Grant Lehmann won the 400 meters and was on the 1,600 relay team with Trey Maevers, who won the 800.
400 -- Grant Lehmann, 53.44; 800 -- Trey Maevers, 2:24.8; 1,600 relay -- Saxony (Max Wieser, Maevers, Brandon Etzold, Lehmann), 3:49.26; High jump -- Alex Jauch, 5-6
* Central and Jackson split a doubleheader in freshman baseball. Jackson won the first game 11-3, and host Central (1-1) won the nightcap 17-4.