- College algebra to be removed from Southeast required curriculum (10/10/17)1
- State declares test results for schools invalid (10/4/17)2
- Child-custody advocate: State law needs fix to provide parents with more equal custody (10/12/17)
- One of Cape's oldest mom-and-pop restaurants opens in new location (10/10/17)
- Past Rowdy the Redhawk mascot's identity revealed (10/15/17)
- Cancer will 'change your life, but it doesn't have to rule it' (10/8/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Bills addressing equal child custody to be filed, legislators say (10/13/17)
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
Sowers campaign releases video highlighting candidate's classroom experience
Rolla, MO (January 12, 2010)- The Tommy Sowers for Congress campaign released their fourth in a series of four candidate profile videos, this one highlighting Tommy Sowers's experiences as a teacher.
Accompanying the announcement of the new video was an endorsement from Colonel Jack Jacobs, a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient who co-taught a Media and Politics course with Sowers at West Point.
"As his fellow instructor at West Point, I've had the privilege of a front row seat to observe Tommy develop into one of the finest college instructors, mentors and officers I've known in my 40 year career. With a deep intellectual curiosity complementing a distinguished military career, he invariably couples real world experiences while integrating concepts from disparate disciplines to make his classroom style both interesting and persuasive," said Jacobs.
Sowers, a former Green Beret, completed his 11 year career in the Army with a two year assignment teaching American Government, Advanced American Government and Media & Politics at West Point's Department of Social Sciences. While at West Point he was his department's nominee for the APGAR Award for Excellence in Teaching. In the fall of 2009, Tommy taught Introduction to American Government at the Missouri University of Science & Technology in Rolla.
Sowers stated, "I believe passionately that education must be improved if rural America is going to be able to compete in the 21st century. And that starts right here at home in Southeastern Missouri. I'll fight for the resources our small, rural schools need."
"It was an honor to teach the Constitution and American Politics at both West Point and at Missouri S&T here in Rolla. That experience will help inform policy decisions in Washington, a place that sometimes forgets what exactly the Constitution says and means," noted Sowers.
The video "Tommy Sowers: Teacher" can be found on YouTube.