- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Redhawks open season with comfortable win
The Southeast Missouri State gymnastics team opened its season Saturday night with a road victory against the University of Illinois-Chicago.
The Redhawks posted a 190.275 total in the debut of coach Kristi Ewakso. Illinois-Chicago finished at 186.400.
Southeast had first-place finishes in all four events, and senior Rikara Turner and freshman Jordan Salsberg finished one-two in the overall.
Salsberg won the uneven bars (9.625) and vault (9.750), while Brianna Gaddie placed first in the floor exercise (9.75) and tied for first with Turner in the balance beam (9.525).
Southeast had the top three scores in all four events.
Freshman Margaret O'Neal (9.60) placed second in uneven bars and Turner (9.55) was third.
Gaddie (9.725) took second in the vault while Turner and senior Amber Garlotte tied for third (9.675).
Salsberg (9.625) was second in the floor and Turner (9.60) was third.
Southeast's Sarah Brillhart (9.50) was third in the beam.
The Redhawks return to action Friday at Illinois State.
-- From staff reports