- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
JONESBORO, Ill. -- George Wendell Carter, 80, of Jonesboro died at 8:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 31, 2009, at his home.
He was born March 17, 1929. in Lick Creek, Ill., to Fred and Esta Manus Carter.
He married Mabel Merriman on Dec. 27, 1947. She survives him.
George Wendell was a member of the National Guard for over nine years. He enjoyed fishing, birdhunting and trapshooting. He held a lifetime membership with the Amateur Trapshooting Association.
He is survived by his wife, Mabel, of Jonesboro; a daughter, Kathy Jane (Rick) Glasco of Kelso, Mo.; two brothers, Don Carter of Lick Creek and Gordon Carter of Costa Mesa, Calif.; a sister, Susie (Bob) Kessler of Anna, Ill.; mumerous cousins and nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Maxwell Carter.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday at Crain Funeral Home in Anna-Jonesboro, Ill.
Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Crain Funeral Home, with Aaron Vorpagel officiating. Interment will follow in McGinnis Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to Hospice of Southern Illinois or McGinnis Cemetery and will be accepted at the funeral home.
To leave online condolences, visit www.crainsonline.com.