- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)26
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
JONESBORO, Ill. -- George Wendell Carter, 80, of Jonesboro died at 8:15 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 31, 2009, at his home.
He was born March 17, 1929. in Lick Creek, Ill., to Fred and Esta Manus Carter.
He married Mabel Merriman on Dec. 27, 1947. She survives him.
George Wendell was a member of the National Guard for over nine years. He enjoyed fishing, birdhunting and trapshooting. He held a lifetime membership with the Amateur Trapshooting Association.
He is survived by his wife, Mabel, of Jonesboro; a daughter, Kathy Jane (Rick) Glasco of Kelso, Mo.; two brothers, Don Carter of Lick Creek and Gordon Carter of Costa Mesa, Calif.; a sister, Susie (Bob) Kessler of Anna, Ill.; mumerous cousins and nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents and one brother, Maxwell Carter.
Visitation will be from 5 to 8 p.m. Monday at Crain Funeral Home in Anna-Jonesboro, Ill.
Funeral service will be at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Crain Funeral Home, with Aaron Vorpagel officiating. Interment will follow in McGinnis Cemetery.
Memorials may be made to Hospice of Southern Illinois or McGinnis Cemetery and will be accepted at the funeral home.
To leave online condolences, visit www.crainsonline.com.