- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Edna N. Schumer
STE. GENEVIEVE, Mo. -- Edna N. Vasterling Schumer, 91, of Ste. Genevieve died Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2009, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
She was born April 16, 1918, in Burfordville, Mo., daughter of Martin W. and Amanda Sander Vasterling. She and Howard D. Schumer were married June 5, 1945, at Immaculate Conception Church in Jackson. He preceded her in death.
Schumer was a teacher's aide for 18 years at St. Boniface School in Perryville, Mo. She was a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, the VFW Auxiliary and the Disabled American Veterans Auxiliary.
Survivors include a daughter, Carolyn S. (Leo "Chipper") Basler of Ste. Genevieve; three grandchildren, Shawn (Shkendie) Basler of New York City, Eric (Julie) Basler of Ste. Genevieve and Keith Basler of Ste. Genevieve; five great-grandchildren, Alia, Anisa, Luke, Karlie and Nate; a brother, Earl Vasterling of Roseburg, Ore.; and three sisters, Elsie Seabaugh of Bend, Ore., Louise (John) Frank of Cape Girardeau and Leta Leadbetter of Jackson.
She was preceded in death by her husband; a brother, Floyd Vasterling; a sister, Neta Vasterling; her father and her mother.
Friends may call from 3 to 8 p.m. today at Basler Funeral Home in Ste. Genevieve.
The funeral will be at 11:30 a.m. Monday at the Church of Ste. Genevieve. Monsignor Michael Turek will officiate.
Memorials can be made to Valle Schools Foundation, P.O. Box 255, Ste. Genevieve, MO 63670.