- Author of Waller's manuscript rewarded for helping feds (1/13/18)
- Police: Man dies from self-inflicted gunshot after standoff in south Cape (1/14/18)3
- MCA calls for protection of those found not guilty of animal abuse (1/10/18)2
- Scaling up: Long John Silver's adding an A&W (1/10/18)3
- Southeast to cut workforce to meet budget needs caused by state cuts (1/10/18)7
- Word to your superintendent: Glass rocks Vanilla Ice parody to announce cancellation (1/13/18)2
- Business Notebook: New rooftop restaurant to be atop Marquette Tower (1/8/18)2
- Jackson Area Chamber of Commerce recognizes commitment to community at annual awards banquet (1/13/18)
- Church, businesses set up pop-up homeless shelter as winter storm approaches (1/12/18)1
- Plaintiffs' attorney wants jury to see basement steps at Cape courthouse (1/10/18)
New Arts by the River Event
In an effort to encourage the fine arts in Southeast Missouri, a new event called Arts by the River will be held in March.
This fine arts and fine crafts show, sponsored by the Arts Council of Southeast Missouri, will take place inside the River Campus of Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, Mo., March 20-21, 2010.
"We wanted to bring together artists, art collectors and the viewing public in an event that would increase the knowledge of and appreciation for fine arts and crafts in Southeast Missouri," said Arts Council Executive Director Melissa Miller.
Professional artists and fine crafters will be competing for more than $1,000 in cash prizes in this juried show. Categories include mixed media, baskets, clay, drawing, fibers, glass, leather, metal, painting, pastels, photography, sculpture and wood.
Artists interested in showing and selling their works, may access an application at www.CapeArts.org under the event forms tab. Applications must be postmarked by Feb. 1, 2010. Space is limited to approximately 35 artists and only top quality works will be selected. One booth space will be dedicated to showcasing the works of art students at Southeast.
The Arts by the River event will be free to the public. It will take place Saturday, March 20, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday, March 21, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
For more information, people may call the Arts Council at 573-334-9233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Arts Council of Southeast Missouri is located at 32 N. Main Street in Cape Girardeau, Mo. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization was founded in 1961 by metalsmith Otto F. Dingeldein, to encourage artistic awareness, participation, and expression. By showcasing the arts we hope to stimulate the exchange of new ideas and build a shared sense of community. Find us online at www.CapeArts.org , www.Facebook.com/CapeArts or www.Twitter.com/CapeArts.