- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)17
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Central picks up win before end of trip
Central's baseball team did not leave Southaven, Miss., empty-handed, picking up a win Saturday as it finished play at the three-day Southaven Tournament.
The Tigers finished the trip 1-4, beating Horn Lake (Miss.) 13-2 and losing to South Penola (Miss.) 5-4 on Saturday. Central is 2-4 overall.
Central sophomore Brad LaBruyere improved to 2-0 with five strong innings in Central's five-inning win. LaBruyere struck out seven, allowed four hits and did not walk a batter.
Tyrone Reece, Matt Hester, Ty Craft, Scott Brueckner, Zac Hudson and Brandon Cooper had two hits apiece. Steve Miinch added a two-RBI double.
In the second game Saturday, Central held a 4-2 lead heading into the seventh inning before allowing three runs. The Tigers had the bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the seventh but could not capitalize.
Sophomore Justin Myers allowed only two runs in five innings of work. Hester had three hits including a home run and Craft added two hits including a home run.
Central 13, Horn Lake 2, 5 innings
WP -- Brad LaBruyere, 2-0. LP -- Colen Denely. 2B -- Steve Miinch (C), Chad Mitchell (H). Multiple hits -- Central, Tyrone Reece 2-3; Matt Hester 2-4; Ty Craft 2-4; Scott Brueckner 2-3; Zac Hudson 2-3; Brandon Cooper 2-3. Records -- Central 2-3.
South Penola 5, Central 4
WP -- Caleb McMillon. LP -- Tyrone Reece (0-2). Save -- Walt Love. HR -- Matt Hester (C), Ty Craft (C). 2B -- McMillon (S). Multiple hits -- Central, Hester 3-4; Craft 2-2; South Penola, Barrett Johnson 2-4; McMillon 2-4. Records -- Central 2-4.