- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Central picks up win before end of trip
Central's baseball team did not leave Southaven, Miss., empty-handed, picking up a win Saturday as it finished play at the three-day Southaven Tournament.
The Tigers finished the trip 1-4, beating Horn Lake (Miss.) 13-2 and losing to South Penola (Miss.) 5-4 on Saturday. Central is 2-4 overall.
Central sophomore Brad LaBruyere improved to 2-0 with five strong innings in Central's five-inning win. LaBruyere struck out seven, allowed four hits and did not walk a batter.
Tyrone Reece, Matt Hester, Ty Craft, Scott Brueckner, Zac Hudson and Brandon Cooper had two hits apiece. Steve Miinch added a two-RBI double.
In the second game Saturday, Central held a 4-2 lead heading into the seventh inning before allowing three runs. The Tigers had the bases loaded with two outs in the bottom of the seventh but could not capitalize.
Sophomore Justin Myers allowed only two runs in five innings of work. Hester had three hits including a home run and Craft added two hits including a home run.
Central 13, Horn Lake 2, 5 innings
WP -- Brad LaBruyere, 2-0. LP -- Colen Denely. 2B -- Steve Miinch (C), Chad Mitchell (H). Multiple hits -- Central, Tyrone Reece 2-3; Matt Hester 2-4; Ty Craft 2-4; Scott Brueckner 2-3; Zac Hudson 2-3; Brandon Cooper 2-3. Records -- Central 2-3.
South Penola 5, Central 4
WP -- Caleb McMillon. LP -- Tyrone Reece (0-2). Save -- Walt Love. HR -- Matt Hester (C), Ty Craft (C). 2B -- McMillon (S). Multiple hits -- Central, Hester 3-4; Craft 2-2; South Penola, Barrett Johnson 2-4; McMillon 2-4. Records -- Central 2-4.