- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
BELL CITY, Mo. -- Jesse P. Scherffius, 81, of Bell City died Saturday, Dec. 5, 2009, at Southeast Missouri Hospital in Cape Girardeau.
He was born Jan. 30, 1928, in Portageville, Mo., to the late William and Minnie Harris Scherffius.
He was a veteran of the U.S. Navy and a self-employed farmer. A 1945 graduate of Bell City High School, he was a member of Garden Ridge General Baptist Church of Bell City, where he served as church trustee for many years. He was also a member of Bell City Masonic Lodge and loved flying.
On Oct. 22, 1949, in Piggott, Ark., he married Bertha Cooper. She preceded him in death Nov. 12, 1994.
Survivors include three daughters and sons-in-law, Carol and Jim Clark and Ila Marie and Frankie Reid, all of Bell City, Karen and Ronnie Blurton of Sikeston, Mo.; a brother, L.M. "Murrel" Scherffius of Ferguson, Mo.; two sisters, Linda Gail Watkins of Cabola, N.M., Connie Hoosier of Sikeston; a special friend, Joyce Gilles of Bell City; five grandchildren, Terry Clark, Aaron Clark, Jade Blurton, Alli Blurton and Tonda Johnson; four great-grandchildren, Ashley Clark, Hailee Clark, Bria Adams and Jacob Clark.
Visitation is from 5 to 8 p.m. today at Nunnelee Funeral Chapel in Sikeston.
The funeral will be at 11 a.m. Wednesday at the chapel, with the Rev. William C. Fox, pastor of Garden Ridge General Baptist Church, officiating. Burial will be in Memorial Park Cemetery with military honors provided by Missouri Military Honor Guard.
Pallbearers will be Lance Scherffius, Brandon Hoosier, Tim Thompson, Kyle Robinett, Rick Evans and Tommy Britton. Honorary pallbearers will be Jerry Harris, Gene Harris, Jerry McClanahan, Euel Carpenter, Gary Watkins, Mike Scherffius and Ernest Hoosier.
The family requests memorial contributions be made to the American Cancer Society, c/o Judy Lopp, Chairman, P.O. Box 343, Sikeston, Mo., 63801.