- Emergency c-section on dead mother saves baby following I-55 wreck (05/15/16)19
- Big drug haul made during Cape Girardeau bust (05/17/16)11
- Police charge Perryville man with statutory rape of two underage girls (05/17/16)
- Teen shot outside apartment off Lorimier Street (05/20/16)39
- Body found Thursday at Ranney Park in Cape (05/20/16)10
- Bollinger County deputies bust man on meth-for-sex sting (05/20/16)2
- Area farmer pleads guilty to fraud (05/18/16)1
- Perryville man accused of grabbing woman around throat, pulling out her hair (05/18/16)1
- Charleston man accused of fatally shooting Cape teen (05/22/16)24
- Vandals ravage historic Shivelbine house before demolition (05/18/16)25
Bollinger County man in stable condition after accidental shooting
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- A Bollinger County resident is in the hospital after accidentally shooting himself Thursday evening.
Bollinger County Sheriff Leo McElrath said Ronnie Burton, 57, who lives near Scopus, Mo., had surgery Friday morning after a .45-caliber gun he carries in a belt holster discharged accidentally. The bullet went through his left hand, McElrath said, leaving a wound hole the size of a golf ball, then went through his left femur. Burton also lost a lot of blood, the sheriff said, but as of Friday was in stable condition.
The sheriff's department received the call around 6:45 p.m. Thursday. McElrath said Burton, who owns the Archery Shop in Marble Hill, was at home and as he removed the gun from his holster the hammer caught on the arm of a chair he was sitting on and caused the weapon to fire.
"He's in very bad shape," McElrath said. "The bullet went through his fingers and shattered his femur."