- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Bollinger County man in stable condition after accidental shooting
MARBLE HILL, Mo. -- A Bollinger County resident is in the hospital after accidentally shooting himself Thursday evening.
Bollinger County Sheriff Leo McElrath said Ronnie Burton, 57, who lives near Scopus, Mo., had surgery Friday morning after a .45-caliber gun he carries in a belt holster discharged accidentally. The bullet went through his left hand, McElrath said, leaving a wound hole the size of a golf ball, then went through his left femur. Burton also lost a lot of blood, the sheriff said, but as of Friday was in stable condition.
The sheriff's department received the call around 6:45 p.m. Thursday. McElrath said Burton, who owns the Archery Shop in Marble Hill, was at home and as he removed the gun from his holster the hammer caught on the arm of a chair he was sitting on and caused the weapon to fire.
"He's in very bad shape," McElrath said. "The bullet went through his fingers and shattered his femur."