- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)14
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Let's all be part of litter solution
To the editor:
It is encouraging to see so many comments about the litter problem plaguing our area. We live in a beautiful area which is marred by this unsightly mess. Even with stiffer penalties for violators and educating our youngsters, I believe this will always be a problem to some degree. Let's face it. We all know it is not our "job" to pick up after someone else. Unfortunately, as long as there are people, there will be trashy people.
How about killing two birds with one stone? Since two-thirds of Americans are overweight, why not take a trash bag and go for a walk in your neighborhood and pick up some of the trash? We'll be doing ourselves and the environment some good.
We can talk about the litter problem, but why not be proactive at the same time? Let's all clean up Cape Girardeau.
DALE HUMPHRIES, Cape Girardeau