- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Out of the past 11/28/09
25 years ago: Nov. 28, 1984
In an unprecedented move, Saint Francis Medical Center and Southeast Missouri Hospital boards are expected this week to put the finishing touches on a joint application for a $3 million magnetic resonance imaging system; the Missouri Medical Facilities Review Committee last month instructed both hospitals to withdraw their separate applications for MRI systems and resubmit a joint proposal.
The lingering controversy over the multipurpose building moves from the council chamber and into the courts with the filing of a lawsuit against the Cape Girardeau City Council; the suit, filed in Cape Girardeau Circuit Court, asks the court to issue a writ of mandamus ordering a special election to be held on the question of whether the arena should be located on property owned by Southeast Missouri State University.
50 years ago: Nov. 28, 1959
They're in a quandary at Grace Methodist Church; moisture condensation in the brick tower on which the steeple rests causes a vapor that looks exactly like smoke; twice the fire department has been called to the structure.
The local Civil Air Patrol unit is participating in the search for a T33 jet trainer with two men aboard missing since Thursday night on a flight from Chicago to Waco, Texas; the search centers around Sullivan, Mo.
75 years ago: Nov. 28, 1934
Reports indicate that damage from last night's windstorm was heavier and more widespread than first believed; a large awning at Hotel Jackson was ripped to shreds; barber poles and other business signs at the county seat were blown over; at Fruitland the cow barn of A.C. Hope was destroyed; part of the roof of the Lutheran parochial schoolhouse at Tilsit was blown away.
The Jackson-Central high school football rivalry won't be renewed on Thanksgiving day; instead, the Sikeston-Charleston game has come to the fore as the most popular game of the district Thursday.
100 years ago: Nov. 28, 1909
The Southeast Missouri high school football championship game was played on Thanksgiving day; the Jackson High School team defeated the Sikeston, Mo., team, 16-0.
There was an interesting parish meeting Friday night at Christ Evangelical Church; the church here has heretofore been a mission, but at last night's meeting, a parish was formed and articles of incorporation adopted.
-- Sharon K. Sanders